event information

NAGASAKI CONFUCIUS SHRINE

SEARCH BY AREA OR MAP
search area map
AREA DETAILS
The area of the prefecture you selected will be displayed after choosing a prefecture.
SEARCH BY GENRE
SEARCH BY KEY WORDS

NAGASAKI

SPOT

Number of Hits 295 Times

NAGASAKI CONFUCIUS SHRINE

Known as the Koshi-byo in Japanese was built by Chinese residents of Nagasaki in 1893, and is said to be the only Confucius shrine outside of China to be constructed by Chinese hands. The shrine housed a Confucian sanctuary and also a primary school. The buildings of the shrine were severely damaged by the dropping of the nuclear bomb the USA on the 9th of August 1945, and so the shrine was not reopened until September 1967 after it had been restored. The Shrine further received renovation in 1982. Outside the shrine are 72 statues, and these represent the 72 followers of Confucius. At the back of the shrine is the Museum of Chinese History and Palace Museum which houses photographs of the old Silk Road as well as Chinese inventions such as the world’s first seismograph. The museum also has more than 80 treasure-class artefacts on loan from the Chinese National Museum and Palace Museum in Beijing.

USEFUL INFORMATION

ADDRESS
〒850-0918 Nagasaki Prefecture, Nagasaki City, Ouramachi
AREA
Nagasaki prefecture
Nagasaki-city : Nagasaki prefecture
GENRE

History and heritage

ACCESS
Nagasaki’s Confucius Shrine is a short walk from the ”Ouratenshudo-shita” tram stop on the tram line number 5, at the foot of the Dutch slopes.
PARKING
None
CLOSED
No closing days
FEES
600 yen
HOURS OF OPERATION
8:30 to 17:00 (entry until 16:30)

Neighborhood Information

tourist spot
event spot
feature spot
back to top