event information

DEJIMA

SEARCH BY AREA OR MAP
search area map
AREA DETAILS
The area of the prefecture you selected will be displayed after choosing a prefecture.
SEARCH BY GENRE
SEARCH BY KEY WORDS

NAGASAKI

SPOT

Number of Hits 310 Times

DEJIMA

Dejima was originally an island constructed in the port of Nagasaki in 1936 to segregate Portuguese immigrants from the Japanese populace, and also to control their religious activities. After the Portuguese were expelled from Japan and the country took an isolationist policy and closed its borders to the rest of the world. During this time however, the Dutch had special permission to continue trade in Nagasaki, and so the Dutch Trading Station, which had originally been located in the town of Hirado, was moved to the island of Dejima where it would remain for two centuries. Tuoday Dejima is no longer an island having been absorbed into Nagasaki City Centre by means of land reclamation. Reconstructed buildings exist in the area and feature residences, warehouse and walls and gates providing an eye into what it was like for the Dutch to live on Dejima. Construction work is currently being undertaken to reinstate Dejima as an island by severing it from Nagasaki City Centre by way of canals.

USEFUL INFORMATION

ADDRESS
〒850-0862 Nagasaki Prefecture, Nagasaki City, Dejimamachi
AREA
Nagasaki prefecture
Nagasaki-city : Nagasaki prefecture
GENRE

Enjoy townscapes

History and heritage

Arts and culture

ACCESS
Take tram number 1 to ”Dejima” tram stop (5 minutes, 120 yen from Nagasaki Station).
INQUIRIES
Telephone Number:095-829-1194 
Nagasaki City Culture and Tour Department Dejima Restoration Service Office
PARKING
None
CLOSED
No closing days
FEES
510 yen entrance fee
HOURS OF OPERATION
8:00 to 18:00 (until 19:00 in summer and during peak seasons)
Admission ends at 20 minutes before closing

Neighborhood Information

tourist spot
event spot
feature spot
back to top